American Electric Power Lineman B - A in Longview, Texas
Lineman B - A
* This position is posted as a range, Lineman B - A; Pay grade and title will be based on the experience and qualifications of the individual selected.*
Position Summary: Perform all types of work involved with the installation, rearrangement, maintenance, operation, removal and inspection of electrical transmission and distribution facilities. All items apply to overhead and underground, as applicable. Employee may perform miscellaneous, related, and incidental work in addition to that specifically outlined below. The Lineman B builds upon the skills, abilities and knowledge learned as a Lineman C (or equivalent).
Assemble, install, maintain, remove and inspect conductors, fixtures and other associated equipment on overhead and underground facilities.
During the first twelve months in this classification assist with work on energized lines and equipment. During this time frame, the employee should progress from direct supervision to immediate supervision as skill level dictates. Also, shall be capable of replacing fuses and operate switching and sectionalizing devices energized at any voltage when working under general supervision.
After twelve months in this classification, while performing work on energized lines and equipment, should progress from immediate supervision to general supervision as skill level dictates.
Install and operate cutouts, line switches, reclosers and other sectionalizing devices; re-fuse line and transformer devices; test de-energized line or equipment, and place or remove grounds.
Install, maintain and switch residential and commercial underground distribution facilities. Locate and correct trouble using cable-locating and fault finding tools and equipment.
Install and maintain multiple street light circuits.
Install three-phase transformer banks on poles, aerial or ground-mounted platforms.
Install three-phase regulator banks and energize or remove them from service.
Install, maintain, operate and remove capacitor banks from service.
Connect, phase out, parallel and adjust voltage on single and three-phase transformer installations.
Locate and correct faults and hazardous conditions on lines and/or equipment.
Perform similar or less skilled work.
Prepare, conduct and facilitate safety meetings.
Direct the work of employees assigned to assist.
Auto req ID:
Residency Requirement: Successful candidate’s residence will be no greater than 30 miles to the Longview Operations Center and possess and maintain a valid Class A CDL license.
Minimum Requirements: Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of work experience as Lineman C or the equivalent experience as determined by the Company
Licenses/Certifications: Valid Class A CDL is required
Additional Information: _REQUIREMENTS – OTHER: These are additional expectations for the job and could include specific work experience, license / certifications, preemployment testing, expectations about travel, shift work, etc. _
1) Shall have performed the duties of and have all the qualifications of Lineman C or the equivalent and shall qualify through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as determined by the Company.
2) Must have the ability and desire to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to perform the duties and/or responsibilities of the key job (Lineman A) in this family and be qualified through demonstration, examination and/or performance appraisal as determined by the Company.
3) Must acquire within such time frame as determined by the Company, the qualifications necessary to perform the duties of the next higher classification in the line of progression, or vacate the current job classification.
4) Successful completion of the Construction and Skilled Trades (CAST) selection test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the CAST Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing. A physical abilities assessment is also required
Equal Opportunity Employer | Minorities/Females/Disability/Vets